The Laurels vs Polaroids of Laurieroids: Hardy and Loudly
On a graph of Loud vs Lazy, Sydney's The Laurels are so far right they might as well rename themselves The Freddy Niles. But it's this total disrespect for ear-drums and release schedules that makes The Laurels so bloody great. Heavily baked, but with the sufficient energy resources to drive a billion guitars right into your pathetic little skull. Their long overdue debut EP — released earlier in the year — matched their notoriously blood-burning live show, in both volume and sheer genital-thrusting determination.
We recently sat down with the band (at a fairly noisy pub) to talk to them about their influences, debut album plans and their perceptions of the current Sydney music scene. In-between the shit shootin' we slotted in some semi-relevant music.
- The Laurels - Merry Go Round
- "The Woonona Boys"
- The Brian Jonestown Massacre - That Girl Suicide
- "2007 was a glory year"
- The Morning After Girls - Fall Before Walking / Slowdown
- "Since Ghosts Of Television broke up..."
- Ghosts Of Television - Coelacanth
- Lyyar - Afterall
- "Are you the laziest cunts in Sydney?"
- The Laurels - Black Cathedral
- RZA - Untitled #12 (Ghost Dog)
- "You're really fucking loud"
- Richard In Tour Mind - Maybe When The Sun Comes Down
- "The EP"
- The Laurels - Radio Daze (Demo)
- "Kingsmill complisults, downloading music, the album"
- The Laurels - Art School Girl