20 Years of Peabody
20 years. Most of you whippering and snappering youngsters probably haven't even been successfully not pissing yourselves that long. But Peabody have. And in addition to complete compliance in the field of adulthood, they've also be wielding axes and thumping skins. And recording such activities. All in the hope that one day they'd be able to successfully hold their heads up high and see the sentence "20 years" next to their name. With a full-stop on the end, as a way of expressing to you (the pants-pissing youth of Australia) the general importance of that particular sentence.
And this is important. So important that I decided to commemorate the event with a little sit down with lead singer, guitarist, rugby league winger and all-round top bloke, Bruno Brayovic, where we discussed the band's historical significance, the music they've released and just how fucking scary touring with the Tucker Bs really is.
In-between the chittering and chattering some songs were played. Here's your cheat sheet:
- Peabody - All Will Be Gone (The Devil For Sympathy EP, 2007)
- Peabody - New Day (Hi-Cycle EP, 1997)
- Sandpit - Helicopters (On Second Thought, 1998)
- Peabody - Days and Nights (Professional Againster, 2002)
- Peabody - Stupid Boy (Professional Againster, 2002)
- Peabody - Wrecking Ball (The New Violence, 2004)
- Peabody - Synaesthesia (The New Violence, 2004)
- Further - The Actor (Further!, 2005)
- Peabody - If The Accident Will (Prospero, 2009)
- Peabody - Egon (Prospero, 2008)
- Peabody - This Empty Road (Loose Manifesto, 2010)
- Peabody - Loose Manifesto (Loose Manifesto, 2010)
- Peabody - Song For Val (w/ Sarah Blasko) (The New Violence, 2004)
- Tucker Bs - Forget All These Fuckss (Chubby, 2005)
- Buddy Glass - The Spinning Titanic (demo, 2013)
- Peabody - All The Bad Girls (All The Bad Girls 7", 2011)
The vinyl release of Sandpit's On Second Thought available now via Microphone & Loudspeaker.
The Sydney leg of Peabody's 20th anniversary celebration is happening this Friday (June 13) at The Imperial Hotel in Erksineville. Tickets are $15 on the door, and available for pre-order via OzTix.
8:20pm - SPOD
9:00pm - Further
9:50pm - SPOD
10:30pm - Peabody
Original photo above by Bronwyn Thompson.